The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations (UN), supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Mandated as a central resource of the UN, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
Established in 2009, UNOPS Ethiopia Office has been providing services to various partners, including the government of Ethiopia, UN agencies such as WHO, UNHCR and UNICEF, and other international organizations. In 2014, the UNOPS Executive Director decided to establish the UNOPS Ethiopia Multi Country Office (ETMCO), which leads and coordinates the UNOPS activities in Ethiopia, Sudan and Djibouti.
UNOPS EMCO activities range from tailor-made administration, operations, human resources and logistics support for implementation of development and humanitarian projects; infrastructure and procurement management services; and advisory services to partners to facilitate effective procurement, supply and financial management.
ETMCO has plan to embarked on a project for humanitarian assistance in water supply and sanitation. The goal of the projects will be to improve the health status of affected communities; amid the COVID-19 pandemic with the overall objective of improvement of access to water supply and sanitation facilities.
Purpose of Assignment:
WASH specialist is responsible for the review of the design and planning, formulation, implementing, monitoring and evaluation and quality assurance of the WASH programme to ensure overall efficiency and effectiveness of the programme management, relevance and value of money of the investments, delivery and accomplishment of programme goals and objectives. He/she will oversee and provide technical support in the design, implementation and monitoring of appropriate WASH interventions in close cooperation with UNOPS technical staff on the ground. The WASH specialist is expected to prepare, manage and implement a variety of technical and administrative tasks, related to the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the WASH output and outcome of the Programme.
Please see role details at UNOPS Jobs.
- Master’s degree or equivalent, preferably in Water/Environmental Engineering, Public Health, Social Science, Environmental Health, or other relevant fields.
- Bachelor’s degree with 2 additional years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience in WASH, preferably working on humanitarian/development projects/programmes.
- Experience in emergency infrastructure projects of the construction/engineering of WASH facilities is desirable.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of other UN languages is an asset.